Affordable Single piece implants
One Piece Dental Implants – Affordable dental implants
The field of Dental Implantology has been advanced .so that no more patients have to come for multiple visits to get their permanent teeth. No more the patients have to wait for 3-6 months for new teeth. No more complicated bone grafting procedures required. No more the implant procedure are expensive! They become very much affordable. All these because of single piece or one piece implants.
Single piece dental implants are the most convenient for the patient/doctor because of the following reasons:
Single piece dental implants can be inserted flapless(i.e no need to cut the gum and no need for gum suturing).. this greatly reduces healing time, increases patient comfort and decreases bleeding and decreases the treatment time.one implant can be placed in hardly 10 minutes!!
- A single trip of 3 days is enough for the replacement of teeth
- They can be immediately loaded..so need to wait for osseointegration!
- Affordable treatment= because the single piece implants are inexpensive
- Lifetime warranty on these implants because of their dependable solid structure
- No swelling or bleeding as these are flapless.
- The risk of periimplantitis is very low because of the shorter diameter of the neck of these implants
BASIC TYPES OF IMPLANTS
Overall the dental implants can be classified into broad 2 types
- Conventional two piece implants
- Advanced single piece system
CONVENTIONAL TWO PIECE IMPLANTS:
Two piece implants has got 3 component...
- Implant body- the part that goes into the bone
- Implant abutment- the part upon which crown is fixed
- Connecting screw-this connect the implant body and abutment
The main draw back/complication in two piece systems is..
SCREW LOOSENING and SCREW FRACTURE..
After crown fixation.. few months later.. the screw will get loosened and the crown will be shaky. This is a difficult situation to manage.If screw gets fractures, then it becomes impossible to manage the situation. All these problem are not there in single piece implants, As there is no screw in one piece implants and the implant and abutment are in a single solid piece!!
Single piece dental implants
One piece dental implants (figures 1, 2) are more reliable and strong compared to the conventional screw based implants because they are single component solid implants. Conventional implants with screw joining the implant and abutment have many complications. The connecting screw is as thin as 2mm and its breakage is common. Loosening of the screw is common after several years and they have to be periodically tightened. 2 piece implants with angulation or in cantilevers are more prone to screw loosening and breakage. Because of the joint in between the implant and the abutment, there is leakage of food debris causing bone loss. As such 2 piece implants are never given lifetime warranty. All companies are eliminating the use of screw and shifting to single piece implants or they are incorporating Morse cone in 2 piece implants.
Here are some of the advantages of using the single piece systems:
A single piece implant being a single component structure has no joints or a connecting screw. This eliminates all the nagging complications of 2 piece implants. As such these implants do not have any problems that are associated with conventional screw based implants.
- No screw as such no screw loosening or breakage
- No microleakage between implant components as these are single component and hence
- No crestal bone loss, which is commonly seen in 2 piece implants
- Very strong – a 3mm single piece implant is stronger than 4 mm conventional implant
- These are designed specially for immediate loading. As such permanent crown or bridge is placed in 3 days.
- The procedures are flapless, quick and simple. There is no need to cut the gum. Patients on aspirin or heparin need not stop the medicines
Cheap dental implants which make missing teeth replacement very affordable. The manufacturing cost of one piece implants is much less compared to 2 or 3 piece implants. As such the one piece implants are relatively cheap to more complex 2 or 3 piece implants. Dental implant treatment is more affordable as patients need not come back after 3 months. Their crown is fixed within 3 days as such all the work is completed in 3 days in a single trip. All brands are now shifting to one piece implants.
Types of single piece dental implants